Introduce me to hockey...
I live in the south, specifically South Carolina, and NOBODY watches hockey around here. I don’t think I know a single person that watches it. The local sports hierarchy around here has more interest in golf and women’s collegiate basketball than NHL. That said, my father took me to a handful of minor league hockey games in Augusta,GA about an hour from here when I was a kid and I remember loving the entire experience.  We’d frequently go when it was playoffs and the emotions seemed to run high, at least that’s how I enterpretted it in my youth.

That said I know none of its history, be it players or team history. Past or present I can count the players I know on one hand....Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Crosby.... I don’t even know all of its rules much less the finer details or unwritten rules.  Are there unwritten rules in hockey?  I know we have a strong northern presence in the league, be it US or Canada. So how should I get into it?  And who should I follow? Hurricanes are geographically closest but also under blackout restrictions. I follow the Cardinals in baseball....Blues?  Who should I not follow?  Who are the Yankees of NHL?

Maybe someone could recommend a good hockey podcast? Forum? Video game? Book? Etc.?
Mike M,
Snow Monkeys (est. 2050)
 Roster - Stats
Podcast to follow would be missing curfew or spitting Chiclets.

As for who are the Yankees of the NHL I'm a Toronto Maple leaf fan and they are either loved or hated throughout the league. The same used to be for the Montreal Canadians but I think they're on the downturn. But Montreal does own the most Stanley Cups. As an FYI the League trophy the Stanley Cup gets invited to lots of social events the Oscars and other big events.

If you want to see some real Flash check out highlights of Connor McDavid who plays for the Edmonton Oilers the kid is like a rocket on the ice.

Unwritten rule I'd say if you lay a dirty hit on the team Superstar prepare for a fight. Also hit the goalie prepare to be pummelled by the entire team. The only other Unwritten rule I can think of is if you were up buy a lot of goals don't over celebrate as the other team will take it personally. As you can see most of the unwritten rules and involve you getting beaten up.
Honolulu 2000 & 2055 Weaverball Champions

"Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical"

~Yogi Berra

Roster - Stats
(02-27-2021, 06:55 AM)volcano Wrote: Podcast to follow would be missing curfew or spitting Chiclets.

If you want to see some real Flash check out highlights of Connor McDavid who plays for the Edmonton Oilers the kid is like a rocket on the ice.
Thanks! I’ll definitely check these out.
Mike M,
Snow Monkeys (est. 2050)
 Roster - Stats
I’d say just watch games on TV and google stuff that you’ve got questions about rules-wise.

I know you said you’ve been to games when you were a kid but continuing to go to live games is another thing that keeps your motivation to follow the sport going, at least it did when I was a kid before we had our own NHL team.  Not sure how far the closest team is to you now, maybe the Checkers?  Sucks there’s not a team in Augusta anymore that might be more accessible.

Anyways, they used to stage NHL preseason games in Oakland in the mid 80’s and my first exposure was going to one game per year for a few years.  That was enough to get me to watch games on TV when they were on, took a bit longer to learn since games weren’t televised as often and there was no internet, but the enthusiasm for the sport brought on by going to live games was what did it for me.  You’ve already had that initial exposure from when you were a kid but I’d continue to pursue attending live games from time to time if it’s practical.

Jim
Weaver Champs - 1998, 2016, 2041
Inferno League Champs - 1997, 1998, 2007, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2047, 2048
Lockwood Division Champs - 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2047, 2048, 2056, 2059
Also, watching hockey is one thing but playing is another awesome way to build enthusiasm for the sport.  And it doesn’t necessarily have to be ice hockey.  In high school we used to play ball hockey out on the basketball courts in PE, and after I graduated and I figured out I could network with other people who liked to play on the internet I started playing pick up roller hockey in vacant warehouses.  First off you realize just how fun it is to play, and you’re also around people who share your enthusiasm for the sport who you can learn from.

Jim
Weaver Champs - 1998, 2016, 2041
Inferno League Champs - 1997, 1998, 2007, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2047, 2048
Lockwood Division Champs - 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2040, 2041, 2042, 2047, 2048, 2056, 2059
(02-27-2021, 06:55 AM)volcano Wrote: Podcast to follow would be missing curfew or spitting Chiclets.

As for who are the Yankees of the NHL I'm a Toronto Maple leaf fan and they are either loved or hated throughout the league. The same used to be for the Montreal Canadians but I think they're on the downturn. But Montreal does own the most Stanley Cups. As an FYI the League trophy the Stanley Cup gets invited to lots of social events the Oscars and other big events.

Unwritten rule I'd say if you lay a dirty hit on the team Superstar prepare for a fight. Also hit the goalie prepare to be pummelled by the entire team. The only other Unwritten rule I can think of is if you were up buy a lot of goals don't over celebrate as the other team will take it personally. As you can see most of the unwritten rules and involve you getting beaten up.

Im a sharks fan and always despised the red wings
1997-2027 Complete Train Wreck!!!
2028,2029, 2037, 2039, 2040 and 2041 Roehm Division Champions
2029, 2037, and 2041 Blizzard League Champions
2029, and 2037 Winners of the Weaver Cup of Ultimate Power!!!
(02-26-2021, 07:32 PM)Sapporo Wrote: I live in the south, specifically South Carolina, and NOBODY watches hockey around here. I don’t think I know a single person that watches it. The local sports hierarchy around here has more interest in golf and women’s collegiate basketball than NHL. That said, my father took me to a handful of minor league hockey games in Augusta,GA about an hour from here when I was a kid and I remember loving the entire experience.  We’d frequently go when it was playoffs and the emotions seemed to run high, at least that’s how I enterpretted it in my youth.

That said I know none of its history, be it players or team history. Past or present I can count the players I know on one hand....Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Crosby.... I don’t even know all of its rules much less the finer details or unwritten rules.  Are there unwritten rules in hockey?  I know we have a strong northern presence in the league, be it US or Canada. So how should I get into it?  And who should I follow? Hurricanes are geographically closest but also under blackout restrictions. I follow the Cardinals in baseball....Blues?  Who should I not follow?  Who are the Yankees of NHL?

Maybe someone could recommend a good hockey podcast? Forum? Video game? Book? Etc.?

Similar to how US kids are getting into soccer today via FIFA video games, that's how I initially got into the NHL (genesis games).  From there, local interest started building with the intro of the Sharks (the official NHL franchise of Weaver, by the way) and everyone getting into rollerblading.

For new fans, I suspect the two rules that would take a little bit of time to get used to are icing and the offside rule.  Even then, I don't think a full understanding is required to enjoy the game.  I think the main draw of the game is the speed of the game plus the physicality: these guys are so fast and can still do a remarkable job stickhandling, passing, and shooting the puck all while the opposing team is looking to ram into them and "finish their checks".  Regular season games are intense, but the playoffs amp it up to a whole new level of players "wanting it", especially in the closing game of a series.

With c19, there's a lot of baseball-style scheduling (2 games in the same city in short order) so slights from the last game are not forgotten and the play is pretty spirited.  Playoffs will take that up another notch.

I hope we get some good playoffs this year and that you have a great experience getting into the sport!  For me, it's probably the one sport where I'll make an effort to watch an interesting matchup even if I have no particular rooting alliances.
I’ve discovered there’s a decent amount of games available through ESPN+ app which will likely be my main access point going forward. Watched the end of the Chicago Tampa Bay game with the 0.1 sec remaining OT winner which was fun. Downloaded the NHL app, seems to be well run.

Did some research last night and there are three minor league teams all roughly 2 hrs of here (Greenville, Charleston, Charlotte). Unless Columbia or Augusta get a team again that’s about it.  Might as well catch a Hurricanes game if I have to ride 2 hrs.  Also found there’s a ice rink at a trampoline park not far from here that also hosts the University of SC’s club team.

And Jim, playing pick up hockey in old warehouses sounds pretty bad ass. I doubt there’s any of that around here though.
Mike M,
Snow Monkeys (est. 2050)
 Roster - Stats